Dental examinations are an important part of keeping good oral health. Regular dental check-ups not only play a significant role in ensuring your oral health, but also your overall health. Regular exams contribute significantly to detecting any underlying dental problems at an early stage and prevent complications.
The Canadian Dental Association suggests that an adult must get a dental exam at least once in a year, whereas, a child’s first dental visit should be scheduled within 6 months after their first tooth erupts into the oral cavity.
Dental Exam Process
During a dental examination, a dentist looks for signs of infections and abnormalities of the oral cavity, teeth, face and neck. Dental exams are performed clinically as well as radiographically. The dentist evaluates your dental health, after reviewing your current and past dental and medical history. The dentist evaluates :
- Decayed, missing, broken, chipped, fractured or discoloured teeth.
- Gum health – to check for bleeding, swollen gums and bad breath indicating gum disease.
- Periodontal health – to check for bone loss and tooth mobility.
- Signs of Tooth decay
- Signs of wear and tear of the teeth
- Wisdom tooth problems – to assess whether the tooth is likely to cause problems
- Bite problems – misalignments of the teeth and jaws.
- Integrity of Old Fillings or previous restorations – their retention and margins
- Signs of Mouth or throat cancer
- Presence of cysts or tumours.
- Soft tissues abnormalities – to check for canker sores, lip and cheek injuries, pre-cancerous lesions, etc.
- Salivary gland dysfunction or disorders.
- Oral habits – to check for habits such as thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, mouth breathing, teeth grinding, nail biting and lip biting in children
- Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) abnormalities or jaw joint-pain, tenderness, clicking sounds.
- Facial and jaw bone condition.
- Lymph node swelling in the jaw and neck.
- Oral problems associated with systemic conditions such as endocrine disorders, hormonal changes and nutritional disorders.
- Oral problems arising from prolonged use of medication in chronic diseases (diabetes, asthma, seizures, depression, etc
- Risks of serious diseases resulting from harmful oral bacteria such as heart attacks, strokes, early onset of Alzheimer’s disease
Dental X-rays like IOPA, OPG, Bitewing are commonly used to confirm the diagnosis of the dental problems and plan suitable treatment.
Benefits of Oral Exams
Dental exams are a must for all, if you want to maintain oral health regardless of whether or not, you have a dental problem. Getting regular dental exams help to:
- Prevent dental problems
- Detect dental problems early
- Reduce the costs with minimally-invasive and less-expensive treatments
- Retain natural teeth and a youthful look
- Improve confidence and self-esteem of an individual
- Identify dental and jaw anomalies
- Diagnose the presence of systemic diseases
- Improve overall health
Why Choose Langley Dental Centre for Dental Exams in Langley BC?
Our state-of-the-art equipment such as digital x-rays, velscope (used for oral cancer screening), CT Scan, operating microscopes and ultrasonic instruments help achieve the right diagnosis and to plan for a conservative treatment approach.
Our patients can choose to schedule a detailed dental exam that could take up to an hour, or have a brief chat with our dentist for a quick consult, saving time and avoiding inconvenience.
You could also request a dental exam at your dental hygiene appointment.
Langley Dental Centre has a calm and hygienic ambience with friendly staff who put patient care at the heart of its service. Our dentists understand your apprehensions about dental care and discuss with you about the dental problems identified, the various treatment options available, the costs and the time involved.
We are currently accepting new patients and appointments for dental exams and are available on weekdays, weekends and evenings too.
We accept all insurances and all major credit and debit cards. We can submit a pre-treatment plan to your dental plan administrator to obtain a pre-determination of benefits.
If you are looking for a positive dental experience in Langley BC, then Langley Dental Centre is the place to visit.